I would say Roverpet has some steps to help you answer this one question Can Your Dog Sit.
1. In addition the first thing you need to do is to get your puppy to associate the act of sitting. For example to do this, hang around with your dog and when he sits give the “sit” command.
2. I would say getting down to your dogs level will allow you to present his reward. For instance so grab a handful of bite sized treats and get on the floor.
3. Therefore bring the treat up over the dogs head. It should smell the food and follow it with his canine nose. Above all else this action will cause the canine to sit obviously we are hoping for the sitting action.
4. I would say the key to the training is to present the reward at the exact moment the dog sits. Therefore you must also give the command at that moment as well so that he associates command with action. I know as the canine sits, say “sit” and then immediately give them a treat.
5. Best of all give the pet praise – show joy in your voice and he will really respond.
6. I would say repeat three to five times at each session but no more. Most importantly training should be fun and not a boring chore so don’t overdo it in one sitting. For instance you can have several sessions throughout the day.
I would ask your self Can Your Dog Sit when you ask them to. Therefore spend the time to train your dog, you get more than just a dog. Best of all they love to do things with you and listen when you say his name. For instance being with you and doing things.